The Facade of Woods Memorial Hall

Romanesque in style and completed in 1890, Woods Memorial Hall was designed by the architecture firm Peabody & Stearns as The Lawrenceville School's main academic building.  As the institution's physical embodiment of education in the 19th century, numerous references to the School's original curriculum carved in Longmeadow brown sandstone adorn the building's northern facade.  These carvings evoke a bygone era yet, retain lessons in history for all Lawrentians.